16 October 2006

And for the disbelievers, Allah has prepared a painful doom

For those of you who've never read the Quran, let me summarize it for you: And for the disbelievers, Allah has prepared a painful doom.

This idea is so important that Allah (or his prophet) repeats more than 200 times in the Quran. Here are just a few variants.

For disbelievers is a painful doom. 2:104

Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah ... promise them a painful doom. 3:21

Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve. 9:3

Those who vex the messenger of Allah, for them there is a painful doom. 9:61

Theirs will be a boiling drink and painful doom because they disbelieved. 10:4

And that's just a sample of the 60 verses in the Quran that describe the "painful doom" that unbelevers will endure. There are also 25 "awful doom" verses, 10 "shameful dooms", 4 "dreadful dooms", 4 "dooms of fire", and another 40 or so differently named dooms. Plus 65 verses that mention just a plain old "doom" -- and a couple hundred or so that describe Hell, the Fire, etc.

But my favorite doom verse is this one (If you don't believe in hell, guess where you'll be going):

Those who believe not in the Hereafter, for them We have prepared a painful doom. 17:10

5 comments:

Ritchie Annand said...

As long as I get some of the weapons from Doom, it shouldn't be so bad.

I think I can be a disbeliever so long as I keep my first-person shooter skills into old age.

...

Doom!

Anonymous said...

What if I deny the existence of doom? I bet the doom I can expect is really bad

Marie said...

Lol @ Ritchie's comment!

Islam, the religion of peace. Gotta love the irony ;)

Lethe said...

Doom?

Suburbanshinobi8000 said...

I think its talking about hell. Least thats what I got of it. which makes since in a way. Really what is the word Doom means... there are too many from a Hell to a video game name Doom. (noting like killing demons)