16 October 2006

And for the disbelievers, Allah has prepared a painful doom

For those of you who've never read the Quran, let me summarize it for you: And for the disbelievers, Allah has prepared a painful doom.

This idea is so important that Allah (or his prophet) repeats more than 200 times in the Quran. Here are just a few variants.

For disbelievers is a painful doom. 2:104

Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah ... promise them a painful doom. 3:21

Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve. 9:3

Those who vex the messenger of Allah, for them there is a painful doom. 9:61

Theirs will be a boiling drink and painful doom because they disbelieved. 10:4

And that's just a sample of the 60 verses in the Quran that describe the "painful doom" that unbelevers will endure. There are also 25 "awful doom" verses, 10 "shameful dooms", 4 "dreadful dooms", 4 "dooms of fire", and another 40 or so differently named dooms. Plus 65 verses that mention just a plain old "doom" -- and a couple hundred or so that describe Hell, the Fire, etc.

But my favorite doom verse is this one (If you don't believe in hell, guess where you'll be going):

Those who believe not in the Hereafter, for them We have prepared a painful doom. 17:10

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as I get some of the weapons from Doom, it shouldn't be so bad.

I think I can be a disbeliever so long as I keep my first-person shooter skills into old age.

...

Doom!

Anonymous said...

What if I deny the existence of doom? I bet the doom I can expect is really bad

Anathema said...

Doom?

Suburbanshinobi8000 said...

I think its talking about hell. Least thats what I got of it. which makes since in a way. Really what is the word Doom means... there are too many from a Hell to a video game name Doom. (noting like killing demons)

gemanisu said...

Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah ... promise them a painful doom. 3:21

The real translation is
Those who disbelieve in the signs of Allah, and wrongfully martyr the Prophets, and slay people who enjoin justice – so give them the glad tidings of a painful punishment.

Your book is just a bunch of lies

Steve Wells said...

gemanisu,

How is your translation better?

Both translations of Quran 3:11 say the same thing: whoever disbelieves in Allah's revelations will be tormented forever in hell.

Chiefjuju said...

Hi Steve, love your work. have you read Thomas Paine's 'The Age of Reason'. Right up your street I would think. Do you have a ready made list of 'bad stuff' that the Quran says beleivers should do to non believers in this life rather than referencing what will happen to them in the after life? It strikes me that this is what I.S probably use to justify their blood letting and would be quite powerful information to be put into mainstream media.