This is indeed a noble Qur'an ... Which none toucheth save the purified. -- Quran 56:77-79From this passage, Muslims have developed a set of rules about how to handle the Quran. Here are some of them.
- Make formal acts of cleaning yourself (ablutions) before touching the Quran.
- Don't touch the Quran when you are unclean (like after touching a dog, going to the bathroom, having sex, or while menstruating).
- Don't touch the Quran (in Arabic) unless you are already a Muslim. (It's okay for non-believers to listen to tapes or touch a translation.)
- If you do have to touch it for some reason (and you're unclean or a non-Muslim), then wear gloves or use a cloth to keep your filthy fingers off the sacred text.
- Never let the Quran touch the floor.
- Don't take it into a bathroom.
- Don't place anything else on top of it.