18 July 2009

And they fell on their faces (FOF)

When I was writing about God's last killing (His 21st, for those keeping score), I noticed that people were often falling on their faces (especially when they saw the glory of the Lord). So it got me thinking. This seems to be something that people in the Bible often do. But how often?

Well, I found 33 FOF events in the Bible. But my favorite is this one, from the Book of Ezekiel.

And I saw ... the appearance of his loins....
This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD.
And when I saw it, I fell upon my face.... Ezekiel 1:27-28

Well, if I saw God's loins, I'd probably fall on my face too.


Here is a response to this post from The Pathway Machine.

10 comments:

twillight said...

On the link of FOF-events you misspelled Ezekiel to Ezekel a lot.

And thx for this good work, just reading your favourite I fell upon my face(es).

Steve Wells said...

Thanks twillight. I think I've got that corrected now.

I fall on my face a lot when it comes to spelling.

Lún Ghẻ said...

LOL. I have been reading this blog for a while . Love your blog.

busterggi said...

Maybe it was so he wouldn't start laughing?

Anonymous said...

What exactly is falling on one's face?

Steve Wells said...

I think it's bowing really low so that your head touches the ground, like the Muslims do five times a day.

Matthew Blanchette said...

On second thought, I came to that conclusion, too, but when I first read it, it made me think of spinning on one's toes and collapsing in a comedy pratfall. Imagine Moses doing that!

lynn's daughter said...

I just want to say that I love your blog - I love that you use humor to dispell the anger that sometimes exists between believers and atheists. I love the Legos, too.

joshua walker said...

The most amazing thing is that God is simultaneously himself as well as all of his divine sperm, for the (gamete) Son is one with the Father.

Anonymous said...

Glory of the Lord is actually his personal flying vehicle (probably typical flying saucer). Just imagine what ordinary ppl of 2000 BCE would do if they saw a UFO landing in front of them? Yes, they would FOF!

P.S. Yep, I support the view that god of the OT is human-looking extraterrestrial. It just makes sense.