28 July 2009

You're in good hands with Moses

OK. This is just another boring massacre. Sorry about that.

You pretty much know the story line by now.

The Israelites were busy killing people and stealing their land, when they came upon King Og and the people of Bashan who fought back.

And they turned and went up by the way of Bashan: and Og the king of Bashan went out against them, he, and all his people, to the battle at Edrei. Numbers 21:33

Lucky for Moses, though, God was on his side, and God delivered the Bashanites into Moses' hands.

And the LORD said unto Moses, Fear him not: for I have delivered him into thy hand, and all his people. Numbers 21:34a

God tells Moses to do to them what he did to the Amorites.
(Gosh, I wonder what that was.)

And thou shalt do to him as thou didst unto Sihon king of the Amorites. Numbers 21:34b

So the Israelites killed king Og.

So they smote him Numbers 21:35a

And his sons.

and his sons, Numbers 21:35b

And all his people.

and all his people Numbers 21:35c

Not a single person was left alive.

until there was none left him alive. Numbers 21:35d

And they took their land.

and they possessed his land. Numbers 21:35e

You're in good hands with Moses.


Note: Since Judges 11:21 makes it clear that God delivered the Amorites just like he did the Bashanites, I included both massacres in this killing.
Estimated victims: 2000.


God's next killing

3 comments:

Fawzi said...

I'm a former Muslim,I've read both the Bible & the Quran & I hope I'm not biased against any Scripture, but it seems to me that some aspects of the OT are even worse than the Quran!

Of course Muslims will say that the Bible has been "corrupted" so these aren't the original verses!

As if the Quran is this benign book!

Thanks a lot for SAB & Dwindling in Unbelief Steve, after I left my original Islamic theocracy homeland & shifted to another non Muslim nation, I somehow had the idea that the Bible was a much better book!

Now I'm not going to convert to any other faith!

Steve Wells said...

Thanks Fawzia.

I'm glad you're no longer considering believing in the Bible. If people would just take a look at that book before believing in it, they would reject it.

I'm not sure which is worse, the Bible or the Quran. But they (along with the Book of Mormon) are the worst books that I've ever read. It's frightening to think that half of the human population (more than 3 billion people) believes in one or the other.

Matthew Blanchette said...

Indeed; it's also frightening that most of them hold ridiculous amounts of power in world politics.