- Make a tabernacle according to the following instructions.
- Make ten blue, purple, and scarlet curtains out of finely woven linen. Cleverly embroider them with a few cherubim. Each curtain shall be 12.9 m long and 1.8 m wide. Make two big curtains from these, with 50 blue-colored loops on the top of each big curtain and 50 golden clasps to tie the curtains together.
- Make eleven curtains out of goats' hair to cover the tabernacle. Each curtain shall be 13.8 m long and 1.8 m wide. Make two big curtains from these eleven by joining five and six curtains together. On the top of each curtain make 50 loops and 50 brass clasps to tie the curtains together. Let the excess half curtain hang over the sides of the tabernacle, 92 cm or so on each side.
- Make a tent covering out of rams' skin dyed red, with a badger skin covering.
- Make tabernacle frames out of shittim wood, 4.6 meters high and 69 cm wide, with two pegs under each frame. Make 20 identical frames for the south side of the tabernacle.
- Make 40 silver sockets for the frames, with the two frame pegs fitting into the sockets.
- Make another 20 frames and 40 sockets for the north wall. (See 4 and 5 above.)
- Make six frames for the west wall, with two additional boards for the corners, along with 16 sockets, as described above.
- Make five gold-covered shittim wood bars for each side of the tabernacle. The middle bar will pass through halfway up the frames.
- Erect the tabernacle according to the instructions God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai.
- Make a veil out of blue, purple, and scarlet yarn, cleverly embroidered with cherubim. Hang it on four pillars of gold-covered shittim wood, with gold hooks and silver bases.
- Put the ark of the covenant inside with the veil separating the holy place from the most holy place.
- Put the mercy seat on the ark of the covenant in the most holy place.
- Set the table outside the veil on the north side of the tabernacle, with the candlestand on the south side.
- Make another embroidered curtain out of blue, purple, and scarlet yarns and place over the door of the tent.
- Make five pillars out of shittim wood, covered with gold, with five gold hooks and five brass sockets.
Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them. The length of one curtain shall be eight and twenty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and every one of the curtains shall have one measure. The five curtains shall be coupled together one to another; and other five curtains shall be coupled one to another. And thou shalt make loops of blue upon the edge of the one curtain from the selvedge in the coupling; and likewise shalt thou make in the uttermost edge of another curtain, in the coupling of the second. Fifty loops shalt thou make in the one curtain, and fifty loops shalt thou make in the edge of the curtain that is in the coupling of the second; that the loops may take hold one of another. And thou shalt make fifty taches of gold, and couple the curtains together with the taches: and it shall be one tabernacle. And thou shalt make curtains of goats' hair to be a covering upon the tabernacle: eleven curtains shalt thou make. The length of one curtain shall be thirty cubits, and the breadth of one curtain four cubits: and the eleven curtains shall be all of one measure. And thou shalt couple five curtains by themselves, and six curtains by themselves, and shalt double the sixth curtain in the forefront of the tabernacle. And thou shalt make fifty loops on the edge of the one curtain that is outmost in the coupling, and fifty loops in the edge of the curtain which coupleth the second. And thou shalt make fifty taches of brass, and put the taches into the loops, and couple the tent together, that it may be one. And the remnant that remaineth of the curtains of the tent, the half curtain that remaineth, shall hang over the backside of the tabernacle. And a cubit on the one side, and a cubit on the other side of that which remaineth in the length of the curtains of the tent, it shall hang over the sides of the tabernacle on this side and on that side, to cover it. And thou shalt make a covering for the tent of rams' skins dyed red, and a covering above of badgers' skins. And thou shalt make boards for the tabernacle of shittim wood standing up. Ten cubits shall be the length of a board, and a cubit and a half shall be the breadth of one board. Two tenons shall there be in one board, set in order one against another: thus shalt thou make for all the boards of the tabernacle. And thou shalt make the boards for the tabernacle, twenty boards on the south side southward. And thou shalt make forty sockets of silver under the twenty boards; two sockets under one board for his two tenons, and two sockets under another board for his two tenons. And for the second side of the tabernacle on the north side there shall be twenty boards: And their forty sockets of silver; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board. And for the sides of the tabernacle westward thou shalt make six boards. And two boards shalt thou make for the corners of the tabernacle in the two sides. And they shall be coupled together beneath, and they shall be coupled together above the head of it unto one ring: thus shall it be for them both; they shall be for the two corners. And they shall be eight boards, and their sockets of silver, sixteen sockets; two sockets under one board, and two sockets under another board. And thou shalt make bars of shittim wood; five for the boards of the one side of the tabernacle, And five bars for the boards of the other side of the tabernacle, and five bars for the boards of the side of the tabernacle, for the two sides westward. And the middle bar in the midst of the boards shall reach from end to end. And thou shalt overlay the boards with gold, and make their rings of gold for places for the bars: and thou shalt overlay the bars with gold. And thou shalt rear up the tabernacle according to the fashion thereof which was shewed thee in the mount. And thou shalt make a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen of cunning work: with cherubims shall it be made: And thou shalt hang it upon four pillars of shittim wood overlaid with gold: their hooks shall be of gold, upon the four sockets of silver. And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy. And thou shalt put the mercy seat upon the ark of the testimony in the most holy place. And thou shalt set the table without the vail, and the candlestick over against the table on the side of the tabernacle toward the south: and thou shalt put the table on the north side. And thou shalt make an hanging for the door of the tent, of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen, wrought with needlework. And thou shalt make for the hanging five pillars of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold, and their hooks shall be of gold: and thou shalt cast five sockets of brass for them. Exodus 26:1-36
06 June 2014
EJ&T: Exodus 26 - Make a tabernacle
In the Every Jot and Tittle project, I am listing all of the Bible's commandments from Genesis to Revelation, in accordance with Jesus's words in Matthew 5:18-19. I have no idea how many commandments I'll find, but Jewish tradition claims there are 613. See here for a list of those that I've found so far.
Posted by Steve Wells