08 April 2011

The Sovereign Lord says, "Beck will lift up my banner to the people."

Jon Stewart spent his whole show last saying goodbye to Glenn Beck. And it was worth every minute of it. It was all great, of course, but the part I liked best was his quote of Isaiah 49:22.

Here it is in the King James Version:

Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.

But that's not what he quoted from. He used the New International Version (NIV), which reads this way:

This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "See, I will beckon to the Gentiles, I will lift up my banner to the peoples; they will bring your sons in their arms and carry your daughters on their shoulders.

Which, with a little erasing, became this:

...the Sovereign LORD says: "... Beck... will lift up my banner to the people...." Isaiah 49:22

I can't find a way to embed the video here, but here's a link.

1 comment:

James Dowden said...

I get some nonsense about redcoats. When will the media realize the virtues of internationalization?