Here's what he said in paragraph 253.
Faced with disconcerting episodes of violent fundamentalism, our respect for true followers of Islam should lead us to avoid hateful generalizations, for authentic Islam and the proper reading of the Koran are opposed to every form of violence.So according to Pope Francis, we should replace "hateful generalizations" about Islam and the Quran with the hopeful (and obviously false) generalizations that Islam and the Quran "are opposed to every form of violence."
It is, of course, obvious to anyone who has read the Quran or today's newspaper that the pope's generalization is false. Islam is not opposed to every form of violence, and neither is the Quran.
Here are some verses from the Quran that the pope assures us are completely nonviolent.
- Slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out ... If they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. Quran 2:191
- Fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. 2:193
- We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. 3:151
- Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other. ... So good women are the obedient. ... As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. 4:34
- Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment. 4:56
- Those who believe do battle for the cause of Allah; and those who disbelieve do battle for the cause of idols. So fight the minions of the devil. 4:76
- Choose not friends from them [unbelievers]. ... Take them and kill them wherever ye find them. 4:89
- Take them [unbelievers] and kill them wherever ye find them. Against such We have given you clear warrant. 4:91
- The disbelievers are an open enemy to you. 4:101
- Choose not disbelievers for (your) friends in place of believers. Would ye give Allah a clear warrant against you? 4:144
- The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger ... will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom. 5:33
- As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands. ... An exemplary punishment from Allah. 5:38
- Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. ... He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. 5:51
- The Jews ... We have cast among them enmity and hatred till the Day of Resurrection. 5:64
- I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger. 8:12
- Fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. 8:39
- It is not for any prophet to have captives until he hath made slaughter in the land. 8:67
- Slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. 9:5
- Choose not your fathers nor your brethren for friends if they take pleasure in disbelief rather than faith. Whoso of you taketh them for friends, such are wrong-doers. 9:23
- The Jews ... and the Christians ... Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they! 9:30
- O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites! Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. 9:73
- O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you. 9:123
- But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads, Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted; And for them are hooked rods of iron. 22:19-21
- Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves. 48:29
- Those who take for friends a folk with whom Allah is wroth ... Allah hath prepared for them a dreadful doom. 58:14
- Tell their brethren who disbelieve among the People of the Scripture ... that they verily are liars. 59:11
- O ye who believe! Choose not My enemy and your enemy for allies. Do ye give them friendship when they disbelieve? 60:1
- O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be stern with them. Hell will be their home, a hapless journey's end. 66:9