28 June 2008

The Scripture Project: Volunteer Editors Needed

There's something new at the SAB that I want to tell you about.

I've decided to donate the material at the site to Sam Harris' Reason Project. The SAB will still be around, of course, but there will also be a new site, called "The Scripture Project", that will be a collaborative, wiki-style website that will start with the material from the SAB and go from there. I don't know where "there" will be, but it should take it far beyond what one person can do alone.

Which is where you folks come in. The Scripture project needs help in importing and editing material from the SAB. To help out, all you have to do is to go here to sign up.

6 comments:

RR said...

Kudos...

Sam Harris is probably the leading voice when considering a non-dogmatic, reasoned response to the silliness we find in the ancient texts and in the belief systems that grew out of them.

I just signed up...

Anon said...

I think this sounds like an exciting project. I would need to read more first, but I could also consider working on something like this. I see there are also a number of other prominent atheists in on the Reason Project.

http://www.samharris.org/site/the_reason_project/

Steve, it's very generous of you to donate the material from the SAB. You said that the SAB will still be around, which I'm happy to hear. Will you still continue to make updates to it, or will new information just be put on the Scripture Project instead?

Steve Wells said...

Thanks, anon. I think it is an exciting project too. I've always wanted to open up the site to allow for more contributors, but that's not easy to do on a conventional website.

I expect the wiki-based Scripture Project to develop and evolve into something quite different from the SAB.

So I figure that I'll continue working on the SAB as long as there are people that believe in the Bible, Quran, and Book of Mormon. And although there is some evidence that those beliefs are in decline, I suspect they will outlive me. So I doubt if I will ever see the end of the SAB.

sconnor said...

Congrats, Steve. All your hard work is apparent and you have created an excellent resource.

Great job!

--S.

Anon said...

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I'm glad to hear that SAB will continue! Then again...

I figure that I'll continue working on the SAB as long as there are people that believe in the Bible, Quran, and Book of Mormon.

...maybe I should be looking forward to the end of SAB?!

But seriously, very good news.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for this project mr. Wells, it's highly appreciated, you've done an outstanding wonderful job! I first learned from it through the Sam Harris Reason project (just signed up to it!) and I just thought I'd let you know this way :)