09 November 2012

Words of Mormon - whispered by the Spirit of the Lord to Mormon Jr.

"Words of Mormon" is a single-chapter, 18-verse "book" in the Book of Mormon. It was engraved on golden plates by a Mormon prophet named Mormon (whose father was also named Mormon) about 385 CE. Mormon Jr. entrusted the golden plates to his son Moroni, who buried them on a hill in what is now Wayne County, New York. 1400 years later, after being resurrected as an angel, Moroni delivered the golden plates to Joseph Smith.
And now I, Mormon, being about to deliver up the record which I have been making into the hands of my son Moroni ... many hundred years after the coming of Christ. Words of Mormon 1
Mormon found and abridged the plates of Nephi, which were written over a period of about 1000 years. He wrote down less than one percent of all the stuff that was written, for which we should all be grateful. What he wrote he thinks is choice; he wrote it while the Spirit of the Lord whispered to him. And he knows it will be preserved because it's such great stuff.
I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from the plates of Nephi ... I found these plates. v.3
I cannot write the hundredth part of the things of my people. v.5
Behold, I shall take these plates ... for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren. v.6
I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. v.7
I know that they will be preserved; for there are great things written upon them. v.11
Mormon prays that the Nephites will once again become a delightsome people.
My prayer to God is concerning my brethren ... that they may once again be a delightsome people. v.9
And I guess his prayer was answered since God helped the white and delightsome Nephites kill "many thousands" of evil, dark-skinned Lamanites.
In the strength of the Lord ... they had slain many thousands of the Lamanites ... until they had driven them out of all the lands of their inheritance. v.14
But not all the Nephites were delightsome; there were lots of false Christs, false prophets and teachers, whose mouths had to be shut and who were punished according to their crimes. (Were they executed as required by Deuteronomy 18:20?)
There had been false Christs, and their mouths had been shut, and they punished according to their crimes. v.15
And after there had been false prophets, and false preachers and teachers among the people, and all these having been punished according to their crimes. v.16
Luckily, though, King Benjamin was holy, and there were many other holy men, and the holy men used much sharpness against the sticknecked people.
For behold, king Benjamin was a holy man ... and there were many holy men ... and they did use much sharpness because of the stiffneckedness of the people. v.17
So everything worked out well in the end and there was peace in the land.
Wherefore, with the help of these, king Benjamin, by laboring with all the might of his body and the faculty of his whole soul, and also the prophets, did once more establish peace in the land. v.18 
And that's all the Spirit of the Lord whispered to Mormon Jr.


2 comments:

Stephen said...

I see the word "stiffneckedness" does not appear in the KJV... it must be a word J Smith received from god... he couldn't possibly have made it up!
Steve Weeks

Measure said...

Verse 11 is such a neat wrap-up ending to the book of mormon it makes me believe that at some point it was intended to be the final verse of the book.

Then, whoever was writing it decided to expand the book, and finishes out this chapter as a segue to Mosiah.