27 September 2013

Brucker's ASAB -- and was Jesus the (7th generation) son of a son of a bastard?

Some of you may recall Brucker's Bad News Bears post, which was a Christian response to God's 103rd killing. It is still the only response (after nearly four years) that I've had to my challenge to Christians, though I often get general excuses which can be summarized in this way: "God can kill whomever he wants, whenever he wants, anyway that he wants, for any reason he wants."

Brucker started the Annotated Skeptic's Annotated Bible back in 2005, beginning with Genesis 1, intending, I believe, to blog through the entire Bible. And he continued for for a few years until he finally got bogged down somewhere in Second Samuel. It was a valiant attempt, and I enjoyed reading his posts (though I seldom agreed with him) and I tried to put links to his posts at the bottom of the SAB's chapters.

Well, Brucker is back at it again, this time starting with Matthew. You can find his first post here.

Brucker's posts are especially interesting to me because he often points out things that I missed before. In his second paragraph of the Matthew 1 post, for example, Brucker brings up Jesus's questionable pedigree.

Jesus, according to Mathew 1:3-5, had a  seventh great grandfather (Phares) that was (from the Bible's point of view, anyway) a bastard.
(See also Luke 3:31-33)
Judas begat Phares ...
[Phares was a "bastard" to God. See Genesis 38:13-30]
[1] Esrom ...
[2] Aram ...
[3] Aminadab ...
[4] Naasson ...
[5] Salmon ...
[6] Booz ...
[7] Obed ...
[8] Jesse ....
[9] David.
And God said this in Deuteronomy 23:1:
A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
So Jesus should never have entered the congregation of the Lord -- and yet God not only let him into the congregation, he made him king over it.

It looks like another contradiction to me.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

See Genesis 38 <----404 - File or directory not found.

Stephen said...

@Nathan: Try again. It's all there. And pretty amusing reading it is!
Steve Weeks

Brucker said...

Ah, how did I miss this post? I'm always out of the loop.

As I said, if you count Phares as #1, David works out to be #10, and he's clear, but yes, as you yourself point out, Jesus was a bastard. I once was involved in an online argument due to someone calling Jesus a bastard, and I recall defending the accusation, because really, Jesus' parents (whether his father was God or Joseph) weren't married, were they? (I think the pharisees hint at this fact somewhere in the book of John.)