07 July 2006

Polygamy Quiz: Bible, Quran, or Book of Mormon?

Which books (Bible, Quran, and Book of Mormon) contain the following passages.
  1. Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
  2. Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives.
  3. Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four.
  4. If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.
  5. If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated....
  6. Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none.
  7. Thus saith the LORD ... I gave thee ... thy master's wives.
  8. For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but ... he had many wives and concubines.
  9. Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
  10. And if ye wish to exchange one wife for another....

And the answers are ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OT: Very interesting Blog. Have you considered adding the Hadiths? It seems kind of odd to exclude them given their importance (for example to Islamic Jurisprudence).

Torah would be interesting too as I know it isn't just the Old Testament.

Steve Wells said...

Anonymous said... "Very interesting Blog. Have you considered adding the Hadiths?"

Yeah, that's a good idea, but I just don't have the time. With the Bible, Quran, and Book of Mormon, I already more than I can deal with adequately.

Brucker said...

Steve, I didn't realize you had a blog! I should have read your profile.

I got 50%, and was a bit surprised at some of the ones I got wrong. I was sure #4 was from the Quran, because somebody told me the other day that there was a verse from the Quran similar to that which had been used as the basis for outlawing polygamy in Morocco. I was also pretty sure that #8 was from the Bible, but oh, well.

Oh, and to "anonymous": Technically, the Torah is a subset of the Bible, specifically the first five books. You're probably thinking of the Talmud, which is Orthodox Rabbinical commentary on the Bible.

Anonymous said...

Asalamalaykom,

It's interesting how scholarly you men are discussing the very life we women are living.

jay c said...

I got most of them right. I missed #7 because I read it as "gathered thee" the first time instead of "gave thee."

I also just completed writing A Commentary on Marriage in the Bible, Volume 1: the Torah! Check it out if you're interested.