25 July 2006

The Whole Message of the Bible

I'm having an email discussion with a creationist physics professor who keeps telling me that "the Bible says everywhere" this and that "the whole message of the Bible is" that.

But the Bible has no "whole message" and it says absolutely nothing "everywhere". It is the most inconsistent book ever written.

But that's not surprising since it's not a book, but a collection of books written by many (mostly unknown) authors over a period of 1000 years or so. The Bible teaches nothing consistently throughout. Pick any topic and the Bible will say one thing one place and another in another.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing turns believers into atheists quicker than an actual reading of the bible. It's an obscene book about an obscene little tyrant of a god.

There is good reason for the catholics not reading it.

Anonymous said...

i agree except the reading of the bible did not turn me into an atheist. rather, it showed me the "christian god" is not a good picture as to how i think god to be. the god if the bible seems to be very much a lunatic. though i am certain, through what science has taught me, that there is a god or higher being of conciousness, after 18 years of being a christian the bible finally turned me against christianity, but not against the concept of god.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think the Bible is the worst place where you could search for "enlightement"... but I do feel a spiritual connection to things, and Life. I just don't agree with the depiction of God made in the Bible. I really feel a sympathetic cord with Neale Donald Walsch's "Conversations with God", though. To me, I feel that his books have a better picture of what god should be like...