Jesus said that John the Baptist was the greatest prophet who had ever lived.
For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he. Luke 7:28
But that was just because he hadn't yet read the Book of Mormon, so he didn't know about Lehi.
Because when it comes to prophecy, Lehi makes Moses, Muhammad, Jesus, and John the Baptist look like the governing body of the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Here are just some of the things that Lehi prophesied in 600 BCE.
- The Babylonian captivity.
He spake unto them concerning the Jews -- That after they should be destroyed, even that great city Jerusalem, and many be carried away captive into Babylon. 1 Nephi 10:2-3
- That a Messiah ("or, in other words, the Savior of the world") would come 600 years later.
Yea, even six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem, a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews -- even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world. 1 Nephi 10:4
- That a prophet would come before the Messiah to "prepare the way of the Lord."
And he spake also concerning a prophet who should come before the Messiah, to prepare the way of the Lord. -- 1 Nephi 10:7
- Lehi even know the words that the King James Version translators would put in John the Baptist's mouth 2200 years later.
Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing. 1 Nephi 10:8
- He knew where John the Baptist would be baptizing. (Bethabara, beyond the Jordan)
And my father said he should baptize in Bethabara, beyond Jordan; and he also said he should baptize with water; even that he should baptize the Messiah with water. And after he had baptized the Messiah with water, he should behold and bear record that he had baptized the Lamb of God, who should take away the sins of the world. 1 Nephi 10:9-10
- And that the Messiah (Lehi couldn't quite make out Jesus' name) would be killed by the Jews (who were dwindling in unbelief) and then rise from the dead.
And it came to pass after my father had spoken these words he spake unto my brethren concerning the gospel which should be preached among the Jews, and also concerning the dwindling of the Jews in unbelief. And after they had slain the Messiah, who should come, and after he had been slain he should rise from the dead, and should make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles. 1 Nephi 10:11
So Jesus was wrong about John the Baptist. Lehi was the greatest prophet in the world.
- Blogging the Book of Mormon
- Next episode -- 1 Nephi 11: A spirit shows Nephi all the shit his dad saw