20 March 2012

2 Nephi 11-24: Padding Isaiah

I know, I've neglected the Book of Mormon lately. Sorry about that.

But now that it looks like Mitt Romney will be the Republican nominee, I'm inspired to return to my efforts to slog through Mitt's favorite book. (Here's a list of my previous Blogging the BoM posts so you catch up on the details.)

So here goes.

In the last episode, we learned that Jews are the most wicked people on earth and that God gave America (his favorite country) to the Mormons.

In chapter 11, Nephi's little brother, Jacob, continues his preaching, saying "many more things," but, lucky for us, Nephi only wrote down those things that sufficed him.
And now, Jacob spake many more things to my people at that time; nevertheless only these things have I caused to be written, for the things which I have written sufficeth me. 2 Nephi 11:1
After sufficing himself with Jacob's words, Nephi decided to throw in another 13 or so chapters from the Book of Isaiah   (He's already included four chapters. See 1 Nephi 20-21; 2 Nephi 6-8), because he likes Isaiah so darned much (and he needs to make his little book a little bigger).
And now I, Nephi, write more of the words of Isaiah, for my soul delighteth in his words. 2 Nephi 11:2
Before doing that, though, Nephi tells us a bit more about Jesus.
If there's no Jesus, there's no God, and if there's no God, there's no creation. But there is a God and his name is Jesus and he'll be coming in his own time (about 570 years after Nephi's words.)
Behold, my soul delighteth in proving unto my people the truth of the coming of Christ ... And also my soul delighteth in the covenants of the Lord ... yea, my soul delighteth in his grace ... And my soul delighteth in proving unto my people that save Christ should come all men must perish. For if there be no Christ there be no God; and if there be no God we are not, for there could have been no creation. But there is a God, and he is Christ, and he cometh in the fulness of his own time. 2 Nephi 11:4-7
And with that, Nephi writes some words of Isaiah. (13 chapters: 2 Nephi 12-24)
And now I write some of the words of Isaiah. 2 Nephi 11:8
Which I'm going to skip, since it has nothing to do with Nephi's story. I recommend that you do too.

See you in Chapter 25.


2 comments:

Stephen said...

Jeezus Kee-ryst, that is poor writing. Mark Twain was right on the button when he called the BoM "chloroform in print".
How anyone could believe it was divinely inspired puzzleth me exceedingly. Nevertheless, it came to pass.
;-)
Steve Weeks

Stephen said...

And it came to pass that I, Steve, copied the following example of exceedingly poor writing from another of your "Blogging the Book of Mormon" posts:
"And now I would that ye might know, that after my father, Lehi, had made an end of prophesying concerning his seed, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto him again, saying that it was not meet for him, Lehi, that he should take his family into the wilderness alone; but that his sons should take daughters to wife, that they might raise up seed unto the Lord in the land of promise." 1 Nephi 7:1

For extra credit: diagram that sentence! Lots of luck! (LOL)
Steve Weeks